pipes in floor, how fill and protect pipes and joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I moved into a 1980's bungalow. All central heating/gas pipes are buried under the concrete floor.

The gas fitter had to remove a small central heating unit in the kitchen and some other change, so broke into the concrete floor and did all necessary work, there is all solid pipes in that hole with connectors visible.
He then covered the pipes with a few bits of lagging insulation(I think that's what its called). He then told me to get a builder to come and fill in the hole as he wouldn't do it.

8 weeks later waiting for builders to come, they haven't turned up. My new kitchen is dew in a few weeks so I need it filled and so it hardens in time. I have a tall appliance housing unit that will be fitted on top of this exact area.

WHAT DO I DO? HOW DO I FILL IT MYSELF?
Are the pipes and joints safe enough or should i go and get them sort of think tape and also tape all the pipe that are visible to give them extra protection from the concrete?
And how to I fill the hole? What with.

I was thinking just to go and get some quick set concrete ready mix post concrete, but then thought I better not. I think you pva the hole area first or do you just wet the area inside the hole. Please would love some advice, I'm not a diyer.

I have added 2 photos, the 2n photo I removed a bit o flagging so you can see material of pipe and new joints.

Attachments

• kitchen hole 1.jpg
    kitchen hole 1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 143
  • kitchen hole 2.jpg
    kitchen hole 2.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I can’t see any photos. Possible to use a timber board, eg floorboard, or some plywood?

its there system it didnt complete the upload. I have now uploaded again, hopefully you can see the photos now, as I can

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
That isolation shouldn’t be fitted on a heating system, it’s asking for trouble (eg leaks). Personally I wouldn’t entertain encasing in concrete as there’s a lack of access for any future problems. Perhaps expose the floor more, and some 2x2 and 3/4 ply might be best.

Sponsored Links
i am thinking to take the lagging off cover all the pipes in specific tape, then but the lagging back on and fill with concrete?
the housing unit is going to sit on top of that so i cant put ply or wood as i can cut it and ti wont be staple enough.
have to fill with conrete but dont know how to do it.

how about just filling the hole with loose rubble or something so its full then a thin layer of concrete on top. i dont think i can do the ply. I am a women with a disability so its going to be hard for me. as i said im not a diyer and i just cant get tradesman as they dont turn up. Also if there was a problem in the future the whole housing unit would need to be moved anyway to get to those pipes

I guess you might be able to use some celotex (insulation board) and screed/self levelling floor compound.

Oh I think thats a better idea with the celotex and self leveling. Easier to break into in the future to access if need be incase of emergency.
Thanks Chris

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Is the full length of wall going to have units on it? If so, the units could be supported on a batten fixed to the wall, and just leave the hole as it. That way it is fully accessible if there is ever a problem, but covered by the units and kickboard and end panels etc.

Hi

it’s an alcove along one wall that will have 4 tall units from wall to wall and the fridge/freezer unit will sit where that hole is.

I think that is probably the best option but l was thinking the unit legs will have nothing to sit on the floor on as that hole is there. So what will the front right and back right leg sit on

There is another small hole on the other side of the kitchen but l did not fill it up as it fell right under the island and no where near the legs. The kitchen has been fitted already in that area so that’s ok.

So what will the front right and back right leg sit on
The kitchen unit legs should be adjustable, so take back to min height, place a piece of timber/thick plywood under for support, and adjust unit leg onto that timber.

Androulla, reading your post a couple of years later and would have thought I had written it myself as in the same situation and nobody turns up to fill in the floor. How did you get on as just read through your old post and all the replies and like you my fridge freezer needs to go back over the copper pipes along with my kitchen units. Would appreciate an update please? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back