Pipes rattling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need advice.

Once the toilet is flushed and the cistern has been filled, why does the feed pipe that fills the cistern start to shake and rumble? It's that noisy and fierce that I have to hold the pipe to prevent it from shaking the house to bits. This, strangely enough, only happens when it's cold.

This is an old house, one which I've recently moved into, and I'm keen to get it sorted soon. Standing over the pipe waiting for the inevitable shake rattle and roll ain't much fun.

Cheers.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Water hammer, Probably need a new washer on the ball valve on the cold water tank

Making sure the pipes are properly clipped and supported can help. Clips about every Metre is usually about right.

If there are a lot of bends or elbows, then each 'section' will probably need a fixing if possible.

As Diyisfun said, cleaning up/renewing the float valve innards can help as well.

Some float valves require a flow restrictor (usually supplied with the valve) fitted in the inlet to stop them snapping shut too quickly when they close.

Sometimes a flow restrictor can be simulated by partially closing the service valve (if fitted). This isn't really a permanent solution as it may eventually damage the seals in some types of valve, but it may point you in the right direction.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back