Pipes through brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at masonary drills to drill a hole for a 15mm water pipe.
the hole needs to go through a cavity wall.
is there any way of eliminating/reducing the "exit wound" on the inside of the bricks?

secondly, the waste pipe for the kitchen sink has black mould forming in a ring around it on the inside wall. (there is no leakage) a plumber said it;s normal and nothing can be done. is that right or is he talking rubbish?
the old toilet had an overflow pipe through the wall and had the same problem

Sponsored Links
handyfella said:
I have looked at masonary drills to drill a hole for a 15mm water pipe.
the hole needs to go through a cavity wall.
is there any way of eliminating/reducing the "exit wound" on the inside of the bricks?

I always use an 6mm pilot to drill right through the wall first as this causes minimal damage on exit; then take your 18mm drill & drill through into the cavity from each side; or if access is difficult, you can minimise damage by taking it very slowly as you break through.

handyfella said:
secondly, the waste pipe for the kitchen sink has black mould forming in a ring around it on the inside wall. (there is no leakage) a plumber said it;s normal and nothing can be done. is that right or is he talking rubbish?
the old toilet had an overflow pipe through the wall and had the same problem
Sounds like a load of Cr*P to me! If you don’t have a leak, damp is getting through from the outside, make sure the waste pipe is sealed internally & externally & it slopes down towards the outside wall.

Sponsored Links
it might also be condensation forming on a cold pipe, if the room is damp or humid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back