Piping for adding small towel rail in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a bit of advice to think through how I can add a small towel rail into my bathroom which is in a single storey extension with concrete floor.

All the radiators are fed in 15mm run along / down the walls in the house I have a couple of problems I'm trying to look at:

1) the bathroom has never had a radiator and being in an old (60s?) single storey extension it seems my only real option is to take piping from flow and return from the pipes to the kitchen next door (also part of the extension).

2) the radiator in the kitchen is on an outside wall and the only way from there to the bathroom is across a door - the concrete floor already has hot and cold pipes for the bathroom going down into the concrete and up again in the bathroom where the kitchen radiator is so I don't really want to cut into the concrete and possibly cause problems with the pipes already buried there

So, I was wondering whether it would be possible to run the piping up and over the door and into the bathroom that way, and if so whether I could tee into the flow and return with 10mm pipe due to limited space to go through the door frame (going through the wall is not really possible as there is a really thick wall which may have been an old fireplace or similar between kitchen and bathroom). I'm not worried about the aesthetics of the piping going through the door frame as that is already the way some pipes are routed into the kitchen from the original part of the house.

Any help very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Have you considered an electric one, with a timer, powered from the kitchen if nearer?

Have you considered an electric one, with a timer, powered from the kitchen if nearer?

Yeah, I think that's my backup option. I'd prefer it to be on the central heating ideally (or dual electric and central heating) but might have to go down the electric route if that's the only way.

Electrics are also all surface mounted in trunking and would either have to go through the 2 foot or so thick wall (or fireplace or whatever it might be behind there!) or around the wall and through the door opening too in trunking. Definitely the easier option, particularly as the electrics are on the wall backing onto the bathroom so no need to cross the door. Unfortunately not DIY-able due to it being a new circuit going into the bathroom from how I understand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back