Piping new system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking at buying an old victorian house which has a combi in one side of the house and also a open vent system in another side. Both look old and if I was to buy the house, I'd want to look at replacing them both with a single system, possibly a unvented tank and new boiler.

Now I know I can't fit the boiler or tank, but would I be okay to pipe the system up and leave the pipes labelled for an RGI to fit the boiler & tank?

Just thinking it's a big house and I could save a lot by doing basic pipework myself.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Talk to whoever the installer is, some might be happy for you to do your bit others will be :eek: and walk away without quoting.

Talk to whoever the installer is, some might be happy for you to do your bit others will be :eek: and walk away without quoting.

That's great.

From a regulations perspective, I'm guessing I would be ok doing this and doesn't need signing off itself

Piping water and rads would probably be fine but running the gas pipe would be less so. It's indeed not a gas pipe until it's connected, but the installer will need to calculate the size anyway.
You'd probably need to discuss with the installer in either case, but regs wise it's fine.

Sponsored Links
Perfect, that’s great.

Wouldn’t both running pipe for gas, rather leave that for installer

wonder who takes the hit if there is a leak.Personally I never fancy these jobs.Often the customer ends up smart and tells you your job.

wonder who takes the hit if there is a leak.Personally I never fancy these jobs.Often the customer ends up smart and tells you your job.
If it was in my pipework, i’d expect to take the hit and either sort myself (and sort installer for his wasted time) or pay the installer extra.

Pressure test your pipework before you get him round, that should cover 99% of leaks.
You might have to come to an agreement about balancing etc though. If your pipe routes are a bit crazy due to a big old house you might have to think more carefully about routing and sizing.

Pressure test your pipework before you get him round, that should cover 99% of leaks.
You might have to come to an agreement about balancing etc though. If your pipe routes are a bit crazy due to a big old house you might have to think more carefully about routing and sizing.

Pressure testing is a good idea, will save hassle and time

Was thinking 22mm runs to everywhere (or should it be 28mm in parts) and coming off in 15mm to each rad very close and hot outlets

If it was in my pipework, i’d expect to take the hit and either sort myself (and sort installer for his wasted time) or pay the installer extra.
Bit of a rare breed then in today`s world where customers try to blame tradespeople for all sorts of strange things.
Also as you are a property developer buying & selling what happens if a leak occurs in one of your joints after you`ve sold and it`s my name on the paperwork, ask yourself who is the new owner going to blame.

Bit of a rare breed then in today`s world where customers try to blame tradespeople for all sorts of strange things.
Also as you are a property developer buying & selling what happens if a leak occurs in one of your joints after you`ve sold and it`s my name on the paperwork, ask yourself who is the new owner going to blame.
I am a rare breed, but guess not your average customer either. I only blame people who are to blame, myself included!

To be honest this is for a house I'm looking at for my personal home, but i see your point.

Wouldn’t of thought that would work on this scenario as the house has a lot of rooms. There would be approx 16 radiators, 6 towel rads and possibly 30sqm of underfloor heating. This is of course once all work/extensions have been done.

A combi system I did a very long time ago I ran 22mm f&r from where boiled was to be fitted to downstairs and upstairs. I tee’d of the 22mm each time in 15mm for a rad connection. Never had a problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back