Piping query

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Can someone please tell me the purpose of the 'by-pass pipe' between the DHW flow and return - white line in the picture - and the gate valve and why the outlet from the cylinder has been made 15mm?

It is a three-port valve (above the pump) fully pumped system.

Sponsored Links
The bypass is used to provide a minimum flow across your boiler.
The 15mm pipe is used to restrict the flow through the cylinder when both CH and HW are operating together. If you have TRV's fitted to your system, then the bypass needs to be set up. If there are no TRV's then it is not needed and can be closed. A bit more system info would help.

Thanks for the reply.

The bypass is used to provide a minimum flow across your boiler.
But it is only between the inlet and outlet of the cylinder coil.
I.e. it only reduces, or not, flow through the coil when HW on.
I could understand if it were between other pipes.

The 15mm pipe is used to restrict the flow through the cylinder when both CH and HW are operating together.
Understood.

If you have TRV's fitted to your system, then the bypass needs to be set up. If there are no TRV's then it is not needed and can be closed. A bit more system info would help.
There were TRVs.
I have removed them and fitted room thermostat.
It's only two up, two down property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back