PIR Flood Light what one is best ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of replacing my six year old Helogen 300 watt pir flood light ( only replace one fused lamp)

Have looked at Wicks , Screwfix, Toolstation and B&Q, for a LED PIR floodlight.

All seem to have indifferent revives.

Anybody with some good recommendations ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I like the PIR separate from the luminaire so the PIR can 'see' the area I want and the luminaire can be tipped down so as to not glare into other properties and/or the road and dazzle drivers/pedestrians while still illuminating my driveway.

I like the Osram LEDVance floodlights, I bought from CPC in warm white (3000K, a similar colour temperature to halogen).
300 W halogen is circa 4,500 lumens. 20W led is only 2,200; 30W 3,600 and 50W 5,500 lumen. They do them with/without attached PIR. They have a 1m cable attached so need a waterproof connection box (which a separate PIR can work as).

I suspect the 20 W would be sufficiently bright for most homes and is what I have. But your lighting needs may dictate otherwise.

With the money you will save just buy them all!
God, remember those days of having 2 or 3 500 watt jobs - made it like daytime in your garden, sometimes on all night just on a dusk till dawn sensor.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure about 300 watt, as that requires planning permission to use outside, normally 150 watt is the limit, but you could get converter bulbs This one is claimed to be same light output as 120 watt halogen which would be just under the limit for planning permission, and called R7s.

But Screwfix for example whole lamp at £4.52, bulb £9.98 so it does seems pointless to fit a LED bulb. This one shown at £3.63 but not as bright and different length. I think the 300 watt was 118 mm?

If you look at Screwfix site as an example you can get lamps at nearly £70 and 50 watt, 6000 lumen is a massive output, so it depends what you need.

I have just replaced two 150 watt I would guess flood lights, with two coach lamps, with just 800 lumen smart bulbs, positioned so I can see both in front of house and up the side, 1674352344973.png it is not clearly flooded in light, it is a large area to light with just two bulbs, but it is enough to see from car to house and around side of house to front door, to get a PIR to control light around the corners is not going to happen, this was what was wrong with the original set-up, they would switch off when I was half way up the steps. So new bulbs are smart bulbs, so I can switch on before I leave the car, and off once in the house. So down from 300 watt to 18 watt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back