Pitch of concrete tiles at eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :)

I am currently putting the roof on an extension we have built.

The roof will have Redland Regent concrete tiles at 15.5 degrees pitch.

On some roofs I have seen the first row of tiles (closest to the fascia) are at a different pitch to the rest, some roofs don't

My query is when do you do this and when not?

PS are hip tiles different to ridge tiles?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Some roofers are lazy.:cool:

With a little effort and the correct depth of fascia, the kick provided by the fascia can set the first tile at the precise angle as all the others above.

As a default some roofers will install a deeper fascia guaranteeing adequate or more than adequate kick.

In some instances where wall plate heights vary but the birdsmouth cut has been kept the same, can lead to problems with kick, but that's another story.

Thanks noseall, so from what you're saying it isn't necessary? I thought it had something to do with the water or some such. The thing I'm concerned about is making the tile any more horizontal and lowering the angle of the first row of tiles more than the 15.5 degrees. I never realised it didn't serve a function and was only to get the fascia in!

Sponsored Links
Usually the fascia will need to sit about 40-45mm above the rafter top.

You can experiment by laying an few courses of tiles 'dry' with a few short cuts of lathes and raise or lower the eaves course until it is sitting perfect.

Ok will do, thank you :)

Also I need to vent 2 room fans and a cooker hood, and a soil pipe through the roof.

For the vents, I have been looking at some of the Klober range, do you have any recommendations?

Interlocking tiles shouldn't actually have a sprocket at all and yes if the first tile is a lower pitch the water will more likely get throgh, especially at the very low pitch that you have.

Nought wrong with the Klober vents especially as Klober and Redland are owned by the same company. Steer clear of the universal vent though and go for a Profile Line vent.

Sorry to correct Noseall on a small detail but Redland use half round ridges and third round hips (you can of course use half round on the hips as well), Marley use Segmental for both

Sorry to correct Noseall on a small detail but Redland use half round ridges and third round hips (you can of course use half round on the hips as well), Marley use Segmental for both

No prob's Surrey, interesting fact. ;)

I do use primarily Marley (90-95%) but can understand the logic with 1/3rd round hips, as the angle of any hip is flatter than its ridge counterpart.

just a thought but do redland regent go on a 15 degree pitch i thought 22degree minimum :?:

Thanks everyone for your comments, it's very helpful.

just a thought but do redland regent go on a 15 degree pitch i thought 22degree minimum :?:

The through coloured redland regent go down to 12.5 degrees with a 100mm headlap. Thank goodness ;)

if we are discussing tile pitch as opposed to roof pitch, we must not forget that if we set the eaves tile at say 15 degrees, the minimum pitch recommended by the manufacturer, then the tile above is kicked up to form the lap, this usually means that the subsequent tiles is at 3 degrees less, therefore a 15 degree eaves tile will have all subsequent tiles at 12 degrees and negate any manufacturers guarantee.
if you then use a breathable membrane which does state on one of the more expensive ones, "with excessive downpours of rain the felt will leak", then you are going to get water penetration into the roof space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back