losing pitch of roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
using redland regent interlocking tile on 12.5 degrees pitch had roof on once bco not happy checked roof 9% in some places as low as 6% started again but losing pitch within 2 rows of tiles can anyone help with geting started

Sponsored Links
I don't understand. Isn't your roof pitch determined by the slope of the rafters?
If you have your rafters set at 12.5 degrees then your tiles will be at 12.5 degrees...won't they :?:

i dont understand myself rafters are at 12.5 degrees set the first one at the same the only way i could get it on the next row was to double up on the battens the row after that needed three battens i just dont understand spent half the day pulling my hair out cheers 4 gettin in touch

confused-face.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The pitch of the tiles will be less than the rafter pitch by a few degrees, but it should stay the same all of the way up the roof.

You haven't lifted the front of the 1st tile (Eaves tile) up to the correct level, so this tile is low at the front which is causing the back edge of it to be higher than it should be, this is then lifting the front of the 2nd tile up so to keep the angle you are having to lift the back of this tile with another batten.

Lift the front edge of your Eaves tile above the rafter by the height of a batten + the thickness of a tile, this is normally done by simply having the fascia board sticking up above the rafter and the front of the Eaves tile sits on the fascia board.

This is helpfull ..... Click Here

HTH.

Cheers.

Hi,
The pitch of the tiles will be less than the rafter pitch by a few degrees, but it should stay the same all of the way up the roof.
OK, the tiles themselves will have a pitch slightly less than the rafters, due to the overlap of the tiles...

But the overall roof pitch should still remain at 12.5 degrees. Except the first couple of rows of tiles which are sometimes pitched a bit shallower.

Hi,
Yeah, I think if you were to lay a straight edge down a finished roof on top of the tiles that it would give the same angle as rafter pitch, but the faces of the tiles are at a less angle than the rafters.

Tom's problem is that he has set the angle of the first tile at 12.5 degrees where it should be less.

Cheers.

@ tomsully67

So did you sort the roof in the end ?...it would be nice to know.

If nothing more, just so there is an end to the thread that could help others,

Cheers.

In my opinion 12.5 degrees is far too shallow for most roofs and should be almost considered a flattie dressed up as a tiled roof.

What a lot of people do not realise is that a 12.5 degree roof would only be suitable for the simplest of lean-to designs.

If you were to start introducing things such as valleys, dormers, roof lights, sun tunnels, etc into such a shallow pitch roof, then you are asking for trouble.

The shallower the pitch the greater the care when battening/felting/tiling the roof.

In my opinion 12.5 degrees is far too shallow for most roofs and should be almost considered a flattie dressed up as a tiled roof.

What a lot of people do not realise is that a 12.5 degree roof would only be suitable for the simplest of lean-to designs.

If you were to start introducing things such as valleys, dormers, roof lights, sun tunnels, etc into such a shallow pitch roof, then you are asking for trouble.

The shallower the pitch the greater the care when battening/felting/tiling the roof.

The greater the loading too.
Lets hope he's not got 2'' x 1.5'' rafters ?. haha

Well i am a roofing contractor and We are in the process of deciding this very issue...our design calls for a 12/12 pitch, we are thinking of going to a 10/12 (thanks chisue for your tip on another thread!) so it won't be a huge difference. We have not discussed how this will affect the interior space yet, I am thinking it will be a 'less pointy' cathedral ceiling? That is what we are after so if it saves cost, and accomplishes our goal then GREAT! In your situation, since it is already built, if you like the way the house looks and you do not think it will bug you then stick with it the way it is. If you hate it or think it will always bug you maybe 5k is worth it if you can spare the money. Since you are not trying to replicate a style exactly the most important thing is that you are pleased with the overall look of your home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back