Pitch of this roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a roof to an old 1930's extensiondue to leaks, and wanted to stay with a tiled roof. However, my roofer has explained that the pitch is too low for tiling and requires a flat roof.

I measured the roof at about 12.5 degrees pitch so thought I could go for Centurian low pitch tiles, but roofer has measured the pitch and said it's about 6 degrees. I am sure my roofer is right but would like to know how I am measuring the pitch incorrectly.

Picture below - measuring it on the screen I get 122 length and 27 height along the black lines I have marked out which gives me 12.5 degrees. What am I doing wrong?? I have assumed the fascia pitch matches the rafter pitch, is that where I am going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Measure the job. It seems the height is just over one course of blocks. Measure a course of blocks at ground level, and measure the horizontal length. Then do the math again, thus double checking your pic measurements.

that is near 15 degrees not 6!

there are pitch calculators online if you google, but you'll need to do a couple of measurements.

Sponsored Links
If your measurements are correct, converted to metric = 3030 run and 685 rise = 12.7 degrees and slope of 3126.
However if you have measured down the slope and not the run then pitch will be 12.9 degrees.
You can tell just by looking at slope that it is approx 12 degrees
Regards oldun
--

The course heights are 30cm and total width of the wall is 223cm. I reckon even taking into account a bit of measurement error it must still be over 10 degrees.

Thanks for the comments, gives me a bit of confidence that the roof will be ok for centurion tiles. Think I need to get another couple of roofers round and get them to have a look at the pitch. Otherwise I am looking at close to £7k to get the roof pitch raised and a new roof!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back