Pitted Lime plaster, easifill, lining? Images added

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've stripped back my hallway wallpaper which has exposed old plaster. It's pinkish reddish with hair coming out of it. So I'm sure that's the old horse hair and lime plaster.

The plaster is sort of mottled in places (but still quite firm) with small dings here and their. I know I cant add multi-finish on top as it would stop the old plaster breathing. So the plan was to go over it with easi-fill 20, sand that flat with 180 grit or something then line it?

Would the easfill and lining paper on top cause any potential problems?

I have been given some 1000 grade lining paper free of charge. Would this paper be thick enough too obscure any small mottled bits that I may miss when using the easi-fill too?

I'll see if I can upload some pictures shortly to give any members interested a better look at what i'm talking about.

Thanks.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
If you intend to paper the walls then why not simply fill any significant dents, and lightly sand down down the whole wall(s)?
Then paper as you suggested above.

FWIW: in future perhaps thoroughly soak the paper before stripping.

Thanks for the reply Ree.

That's why i was asking about potential problems ree. I was hoping what i wrote in my first post regarding lining, easi-fill and sanding etc. were an option I could take. Without causing more damage. The sanding particularly worried me as the plaster is that old, I wasn't sure if this was something that could be done whilst keeping the existing plaster intact.

I'd been reading conflicting information regarding old buildings like this (1800's) The sanding, eas-fill I read on one guide, yet I also read others stating that any patching would have to be done with as close to original materials as possible, lime based plaster, and all that entails. Which looks a bugger for a novice.

Regards the stripping, I manged to get the old embossed paper off without causing any damage. I just kept soaking it a bit at a time until it literally peeled off.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back