PIV or DIY approach...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

1961 bungalow. Cavity wall insulation done in 2009 (that yellow bobbly stuff), attic insulation c.250mm, upvc double glazing (some from the 90s). A wall vent in one room blows in a draft from outside near ground level, trickle vents in two other rooms, and vents above sliding patio door in another. All vents open.

I have the heating programmed to come on three times a day for two hours each time, 7am to 9am, 12.30-14.30, 17.45-19.45.

RH is generally 58-60%, temperatures generally 18C-19.5C. Except if I have woodburner on then that room gets hotter with some effect on adjoining rooms.

I know all about good habits, like not drying clothes indoors, using bathroom and kitchen properly. No known leaks anywhere. I run a dehumidifier a few times a week for an hour or so.

I am getting condensation along the bottom inch or so of my bedroom window in the mornings even with trickle vent open. And there is some at the bottom of the massive, sliding metal door in the lounge - this thing is at least 30 years old and just seems to be a cold spot at the bottom. I have the vents open at the top. Otherwise, no obvious damp issues.

However, I would like to get RH to more like 50% average and am at the limits of what I can achieve.

Two options:

A) install a PIV. What should the cost be including installation? Loft or wall mounted better?

B) DIY option. Install a few more trickle vents, buy an extra dehumidifier, and have the two dehumidifiers running at both ends of the house for maybe an hour over night and an hour in the day using timed plugs to automate the process.

Both options presumably ventilate the house with clean air and reduce humidity. Option B more hassle.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
PIV is usually well reviewed. The units are £200 - £500, as some have a heater in them to keep the incoming air a bit warmer.

Installation is quick, if you opt to jut let it use air thats come into the loft. Just need a power supply close by.

Budget half a day reasonably for an electrician to sort it for you, or a couple of hours if there is a good power supply close by with a socket.

PIV is usually well reviewed. The units are £200 - £500, as some have a heater in them to keep the incoming air a bit warmer.

Installation is quick, if you opt to jut let it use air thats come into the loft. Just need a power supply close by.

Budget half a day reasonably for an electrician to sort it for you, or a couple of hours if there is a good power supply close by with a socket.
So whether this works or not will depend on the attic having the same cool dry air as outside the house presumably? Otherwise, could be pushing damp air into the house? So attic would need to be well ventilated...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back