plane irons, help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im going to buy some new irons for my planes i use for site work,

first question, is a regular no5 plane and a regular no4 planes irons the same 2inch, at the minute they are both something like silverline or faithfull
and dont hold an edge well

and second question, what size iron will i need for my block plane?

any help will be appreciated :)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes both these planes take the same blade or at least they do in my stanleys. Actually at the moment my smoother has an old blade in it. I can't remember off hand the make but it's not a stanley. It's thicker and the "keyhole" is at the wrong end so the sideways movement lever does very little but it holds a cracking edge.
As to your second question I really can't say without knowing what model you have , try e-bay or google .

If its any help, K&M wholesale of Sheffield do plane irons and spares for both Stanley and Record planes......cant comment on Silverline stuff though - don't have too much faith in them.
John :)

hi, thank you for the help, i use stanley planes for bench work but i use silverline or other cheapies for site work, they end up getting nicked or broken anyway.
except ebay, can anyone suggest any cheap places that sell plane irons
2 inch and 1 3/8, or 1 1/4 block plane irons.

thanks
tom

Sponsored Links
the name "Silverline" on a tool is a guarantee of quality.

Poor quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back