Plane of rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many mm out of plane is acceptable with rafters for it to be not noticeable or cause a problem when tiling the roof?

I don't want a wavey roof once I've put my battens on, so now is the time to decide if I need to make use of my planer....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How many mm out of plane is acceptable with rafters for it to be not noticeable or cause a problem when tiling the roof?

I don't want a wavey roof once I've put my battens on, so now is the time to decide if I need to make use of my planer....

Thanks
We've had all manner of ups and downs with trusses. And no one is the wiser. This roof...

...had as much as 15mm between truss sets, and you can't tell once it battened and tiled.

Wow, that looks a bit more complicated than mine. Thanks for sharing the photos. Ok, none of my rafters are out by that much. 5mm at most..

However..... My wall plate was separated by my cranked steel beams - and I didn't notice on one side the wall plate was 25mm higher! Not until I'd nailed in the jack rafters anyway and then saw them at a different angle and wondered why they were sitting high.

It's only affected a couple of jack rafters, so I'll just plane them down a few times until it all lines up approximately...

Sponsored Links
Actually, measured properly. The plate is about 12 mm too high, but because of the angle of the rafter, it goes out of whack about half way down, and is out by 40mm at the end of the rafter.

Planing it would be a huge pain, and that's quite a chunk out the end. It's gonna be easier to rip out the two rafters.

My plate is 75mm thick wood, so instead I'll just notch 20mm out of the plate to allow the rafters to sit lower. I'm already at the limit with my birds mouth depth.

Just thinking out loud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back