Planing MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Any tips for planing MDF? I have a planing power tool that a friend has lent me and I only need to shave off 5-10mm on a strip about 1m long but it feels like I'm not getting anywhere. I'm a weak and feeble girl but it shouldn't be this hard, surely?!

Sponsored Links
If you are using an electric planer and it's not removing any material, that suggests that:

- you haven't adjusted the planer to cut any wood

- the blades are very blunt (or even missing?)

An electric planer doesn't need any manual strength to operate. You do need to hold it square to the edge you're planing, and make sure your stance allows you to start and, especially, to finish the cut level. Check as you go and correct any errors before they go too far. Mind the dust: MDF produces an unpleasant fine dust when machined, and it should be collected properly.

If you're not used to planing, maybe it would be a good idea to practice on some scrap material before trying to plane your workpiece.

Dust Mask ;)
Or take it to a local timber merchant and have them cut it on their table saw for 50p or free, depending if the boss is in.......

Sponsored Links
10mm an even 5mm can be cut with a handsaw, and finished with a sanding block

A " surform " plane is good for MDF

Don't breath the dust in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back