planning - car parking spaces re-used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A neighbour of mine is currently extending a property and using the existing garage plus 2 new spaces created on the plot to achieve the 3 spaces required for permission for the 4 bed property.
As he also owns the adjacent land to the plot and now intends to re-draw the property boundaries to build a further property. The garage space being used for the original extension will be demolished to accommodate the second property. Is this allowed?
Any advice welcome,
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is not an uncommon proposal. It would be subject to the planning application and the planning policies used by the local council. the devil is i the detail. Do you have a link to the planning application?

Hi
It looks a bit tight - but it depends on the new application and local plan.
There is no point trying to second guess these things - just wait until you can see the submitted plans.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this Geoff.
Will do, I just wondered if there was something that said "if a planning application uses a car space it can't be re-used for development on another plot"

Most of local plans express the level of parking for residential properties as a "maximum allowed", and not as a "minimum required", or a mandatory amount.

if you are in an area were available parking is very limited, there may be a requirement for off-street parking to be provided with all new residential developments. This is often 1 car parking space (or less) per dwelling. The developer may choose to provide more on-site parking, but will usually do so only to increase the expected profits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back