rear parking space into a garage/shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all having recently purchased a 3 story town house that has 2 parking spaces to the rear in a private small development i would like to extend the back fence to the boundary of my parking space to create a covered area/garage for my motorbikes will i need planning for a shed/tempory structure or can i just move my back wall ariounfd the parking space?? backward si know to the usual "can i convert my garden into parking"

Sponsored Links
It might be worth checking the deeds to see if there are any covenants or restrictions to those kind of alterations. Many newish builds can be quite specific about what you can and can't do to areas around the property or you may be required to seek permission of any management company if there is one.

Sponsored Links
it is a smal;l development and there is not a management company some others only 7 propertys have added car ports

Most new build estates remove permitted development rights so you can't wipe your @rse without asking permission. You can always just go ahead anyway and hope nobody complains, after 4 years no enforcement can be taken or maybe 10 if it's classed as change of use.

To find out for sure you need to either ask the council or check your deeds pack for the original planning permission for the estate itself.

A get around is to just fit a car sized double gate within your new fence, thus maintaining access for a car. Sounds like you’ll be maintaining the hardstanding anyway.

If your permitted development rights are intact, read this: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/miniguide

To find out about your PD rights, easiest way is to go on your council's website, planning area and find the application that covers your house. Look for paragraphs in the decision notice with wording like:

"Notwithstanding the provisions of the Town and Country (GPD) Order 1995 (or any Order revoking or re-enacting that Order), no development under Parts BLAH of Schedule 2 to that Order shall be carried out without the express permission of the LPA"

This means you cannot develop anything referred to in those parts/subsections. Your house may have PD rights for some things and not others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back