Can I convert my garage?

Sponsored Links
IMG_3438.JPG
Is that all of your house or is it a semi?
Sorry my house isn't in shot that's the neighbours house mine is detached on the left here

That's clearer, and you don't have much room to play with.

If the parking standards do apply, then you need to check that the sizes are correct and reasonable. ie - according to the sizes, how many spaces do you have now - are there really three or four spaces at the sizes the council they there should be? Which in turn leads to are you actually losing a space in accordance with the council's own definition of what a space is? If you are not actually losing a space of the size the council claim, then an appeal may well find in your favour.

One other thing to check, is if that is a two-bed house, what do the council's guides say about how many spaces it should have? Does that contradict the parking guides?

Had a similar problem with planning before,with a single garage i wanted to demolish then extend our kitchen,same reply from the council re parking.
Was told that the drive way from the road to my garage was a means of access to the garage only and not for permanent parking (washing the car on the drive way is allowed),had to get around this by converting an area in front of my house to hard standing for one car.
Did the above first and then resubmitted original plans then passed. Sold this property a few years ago the new owners have removed the hard standing and turfed that area and park their cars on the drive way,same as your picture bumper to bumper.

Funny old world,

Sponsored Links
That's clearer, and you don't have much room to play with.

If the parking standards do apply, then you need to check that the sizes are correct and reasonable. ie - according to the sizes, how many spaces do you have now - are there really three or four spaces at the sizes the council they there should be? Which in turn leads to are you actually losing a space in accordance with the council's own definition of what a space is? If you are not actually losing a space of the size the council claim, then an appeal may well find in your favour.

One other thing to check, is if that is a two-bed house, what do the council's guides say about how many spaces it should have? Does that contradict the parking guides?
This is exactly my point how can they say I'm losing a space if it's not a space according to their standards. If we go to the letter of their sizes as of today my 4 bed house has 1 space that meets the standard. But in theory i have a double tandem garage 2 cars and a driveway 1 car but can fit 2 on. Oh well I'll submit it and see what is said next!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back