Garage conversion and parking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to move house but I need to be able to convert the garage of the new house.

The area I'm looking at has had permitted development removed and planning permission is required.

I know I will need 2 off road parking spaces but there seems to be a grey area in the policies.

The spaces they say they require is 2 at 2.4m x 4.8m but then they say if you park nose to tail you need 2.4m x 6m. One of the houses I'm looking at has a garage and a drive in front of the garage of around 10m. This will mean the 2 at 2.4m x 4.8m will work but the cars will have to be nose to tail.

I can't understand why 6m is required for nose to tail?

Anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Because cars are bigger nowadays. The 4.8m dimension has been knocking around for decades. A 3 series is 4.5m, 5 series is 4.9m, mondeo is 4.8, insignia 4.8m etc. People don't/won't park nose to tail if they can help it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back