Planning for cellar conversion- light well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
builders recently converted a cellar conversion for me and insisted it didn't need planning permission

a neighbour advised they looked into it a while back and were advised it needed lanning (they never continued)

i spoke to the local planning team who were less than helpful and just kept repeating 'its up to you and the builders to decide if it affects the appearance or not', but if your changing the appearance at all it will need it.

the issue is the light well- for egress the existing coal chute was used, the sides squared off and made about 6inch longer, a metal grate installed where it was previously a concrete slab, and a window below ground level where the previous coal chute entered the cellar.

anyone else had similar done, did you encounter any issues with planning?

Sponsored Links
no before pics- i'll have some somewhere just cant find them. here is the after pic

as a before pic,- image the below, but 6 inch shorter and finishing flush with the bay window, brick rather than rendered, and a concrete paving slab on top. there is also a window added but that can barely be seen from ground level

Attachments

• IMG_4135.JPG
    IMG_4135.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 126
We did not need planning permission.
And I did not expect to need planning permission.

But Building control were very specific about light well egress (width, ladder mesh on top, drainage at bottom, trip hazard review).
The trip hazard review meant that the grate was completely flat to the ground - likely meaning it posses less of a visual impact.

Yours does stand out. Perhaps Back jack paint it or rub some mud on it asap and fill around it with gravel so it disappears?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i do have plans to paint/blend it in- the driveway/path is being redone next year and was going to sort it as part of that,

prob is planning wont tell me either yes or no if its needed- they've advised i either fill in a retro planning permission or a document that costs £110 to see if they agree

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back