Planning For Converting An Internal Garage To Studio Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking about converting the internal garage in my 3 bed semi to a studio flat. The house has been extended to the front (inc the garage) by around 2m in length so there should be plenty of space.

I would require the garage door to be replaced with a window/door. Any other alternations would be internal. I would be planning for the space to only be accessible from the outside (as there's no current door through to the house) although this could be changed if it was advantageous for planning.

In order to make this change would I need to apply for planning? If so how hard would be be to obtain, easy, possible, probable or not a cat in hells chance?!?

As I'm sure you can tell this is the early stage of planning so any help you could be to me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Speak to your Planning department because even though the majority of garage conversions can be carried out under PD (as per the link above), you're not converting to another habitable room to the house, but creating a separate residential unit.

Creating a residential unit would normally require Highway approval (in terms of parking) and Planning obligations.

Sponsored Links
how hard would be be to obtain, easy, possible, probable or not a cat in hells chance?!?

As I'm sure you can tell this is the early stage of planning so any help you could be to me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

On the cale of 1 to 10 (1 being 'no chance' and 10 being 'a dead cert').
I would say 0.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back