Planning garage conversion + extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I need some help!!
I want to convert my garage into living space and also a small single storey extension alongside the garage at the front of the house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44968493.html

An architect who gave me an estimate said I will need planning permission as it's a change of use, I'd be losing a parking space and extending at the front of the house. When I later looked on the planning portal it said most garage conversions do not need PP. I couldn't interpret the guidance on extending at the front of the house - if I only intend to go as far out as the existing garage, does this count as forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway?

Also, do I really need an architect for a project of this size? It does involve some internal remodelling of the ground floor including removing 2 load bearing walls and french doors in another. His estimate for planning was £528, building regs £450 and steel work calcs £354. Throw in application and inspecting fees Im looking at 2k. Obviously I would like to save some money but I don't want to cut any corners. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
We assume this isn't a porch you are sticking on the front?

To convert the garage usually does not need Permission though sometimes this right is withdrawn as a condition of the original planning application. And sometimes the garage must remain as a space as a condition too. So you need to check with the Local Authority.

You would need planing permission for any font extension, all of the elevations facing the front are front elevations, the step back is irrelevant.

If you can put pen to paper and can knock up a few drawings and think that what you are proposing will be acceptable to the Local Authority then you can put the planning application in yourself. If you are familiar with the Building Regs and can submit Building Regs plans yourself then have a go. If you think you know enough about the Regs and intend doing the build yourself then do it on a Notice. Or if you can find a really good builder whom you trust implicitly not to leave this or that out as he has no drawings to price from then don't bother with any regs drawings.

I think the fees you have been quoted are pretty reasonable.

Front extensions are generally frowned upon so no one can predict if you will get it or not. I have done a few but they have either improved the existing frontage or the extensions have made the frontage no worse than before. You can sometimes get away with sticking a bag of spanners on the back of a house bit on the front no chance! So you need a good considered design.

We assume this isn't a porch you are sticking on the front?

To convert the garage usually does not need Permission though sometimes this right is withdrawn as a condition of the original planning application. And sometimes the garage must remain as a space as a condition too. So you need to check with the Local Authority.

You would need planing permission for any font extension, all of the elevations facing the front are front elevations, the step back is irrelevant.

If you can put pen to paper and can knock up a few drawings and think that what you are proposing will be acceptable to the Local Authority then you can put the planning application in yourself. If you are familiar with the Building Regs and can submit Building Regs plans yourself then have a go. If you think you know enough about the Regs and intend doing the build yourself then do it on a Notice. Or if you can find a really good builder whom you trust implicitly not to leave this or that out as he has no drawings to price from then don't bother with any regs drawings.

I think the fees you have been quoted are pretty reasonable.

Front extensions are generally frowned upon so no one can predict if you will get it or not. I have done a few but they have either improved the existing frontage or the extensions have made the frontage no worse than before. You can sometimes get away with sticking a bag of spanners on the back of a house bit on the front no chance! So you need a good considered design.

Thanks for that Freddy. No I can't really call the extension a porch as Im intending to knock the wall through! At least that clears up the PP.

There's three other houses on the cul-de-sac that have done a similar extension although one has not bothered with the garage conversion. Tbh the frontage looks far better.

The reason I think the fees are a bit excessive is because externally there's very little designing to do. The dimensions, roof etc are all pre-determined as the front of the garage is already there - this simply needs to be extended across the length of the house, with a door and 2 windows put in. Having said that what do I know? And Im useless at drawing. My art teacher told my parents I was that far behind he would soon need binoculars to see me!

I was given a price of £400 planning and £250 building regs from another guy over the phone which seems more reasonable. Although he's not qualified as an architect, he is a chartered building consultant.

Sponsored Links
Being an architect means little unfortunately. If you stick around you will find the forum littered with threads where the 'architect' has done this blunder or misinterpreted that rule or whatever, no different from any other trade in life, good and bad. Is he actually an architect? You will find him on the ARB register if he is.

Speak with some one man band 'architectural technicians', that's all that is required for such a job. Ask to see an example of their Building Regs drawings, you'd be surprised how many just add a standard set of notes to their planning drawings: they will get a pass from Building control but will tell the builder little of substance. You could do worse than to look on your Local Authority's online planning register and see who the popular agents are who are submitting domestic extensions in your area for some leads. Ask them if they are going to speak with the planners throughout the application process to check on progress and is prepared to make some amendments if they are necessary (and keeping you in the loop too). Assuming it's not just chucked out per se. Anyone who doesn't know what you're talking about or suggests you negotiate with the planners or other crappy spiel steer clear of. This part of their appointment is vital and catches many unsuspecting clients out as their unscrupulous agents blissfully allow their application to bowl along quietly to get rejected at the eleventh hour only to claim innocence afterwards.

As ever in life generally you generally get what you pay for. If whoever submits your planning application gets it rejected it will be expensive whatever they've charged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back