Planning issue with log store.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone know, does an open fronted log store require planning permission to be in the front garden of a house? I know sheds need planning but a log store isn’t a shed imo.

Sponsored Links
Err why do sheds need planning ? But you may fall foul of the shed may not be positioned in front of the principal elevation bit...still what exactly will your council do in these cash strapped times ? for a log store...hunt you down with dogs , send in the army or just ignore it like the millions of bins that are stored in the front garden of a house. If it causes yo sleepless nights just cover the top layer with a plastic tarp...otherwise just get on with it. I would be more worried about storing fuel by a primary exit....

We have permitted development rights for outbuildings these are :
  • Your shed should not be positioned forward of a wall that forms the principal elevation of the property.
  • All sheds should be single-storey in nature.
  • The eaves height should be no higher than 2.5 metres.
  • The maximum overall height should be no higher than 4 metres for a dual pitch roof (all other roof options have a max height of 3 metres).
  • If the shed stands less than 2 metres from one or more boundaries of the property, the overall height should not exceed 2.5 metres.
  • In the case of designated land, planning permission will still be required.
  • In the case of land in national parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and similar sites, any sheds or similar structures over 20 metres away from the house cannot take up more than 10 square metres.
  • In the case of a listed building of any kind, planning permission will be required.

The permitted development rules apply to buildings or enclosures so might be deemed to include a log store, depends how big it is really.

Blup

Build it sized to have wheelybins .....then put logs in one night:ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
A log store on wheels which can be and is moved around, is a use of land not a physical development. That might be the solution.

Blup

I would not want an accessible log store to be up against my house.

In case anyone came and ignited it.

A lean to log store could also cause cause damp in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back