Planning issues - new build house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - was hoping I could get some impartial advice about the following:

I own a property in a small cul-de-sac of 11 houses and one of which has been converted to 2 flats. There are two rows of terraced houses opposite each other and with communal parking and green areas between.

My property is an end of terrace and I have been advised there is potential to build a second property on the plot. For this I would like to demolish part of the existing house.

My main issues are that there is no vehicular access to the property. There is a communal car park for about 20 vehicles.

The house is within a mile of the local town centre and bus/train facilities.

I know councils are quite stringent on parking provision but does anyone know of any good arguments against this?

Also, I intend for the new property to be detached and slightly set back. Am I likely to run in to arguments that this will detract from the street scene???

Any ideas/help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There may be some potential for non-provision of parking, but it really depends on your Local Highway Authority. Given that you are well within the tolerances for walking and cycling as set out in national guidance, there would at least be a reasonable argument to put forward. Would suggest some pre-app advice with the Local Authority before you start, as you'll also need to deal with the issue of greenfield development. The assistance of a planning consultant local to you is recommended.

In terms of layout it is difficult to comment without seeing or knowing the area which you are considering. The Local Authority will expect your scheme to reinforce local distinctiveness so you should ensure your architect carefully appraises the surrounding area, and prepares a drawing that respects the character of the area.

Regards

Rob Duncan

Thank you Rob - Your advice is appreciated and I will take your comments on board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back