1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

New Neighbours Building Works

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Macca80, 5 Aug 2019.

1. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Macca80 seems to know that.( I think :!:)

Last edited: 7 Aug 2019
  2. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can't help wondering how somebody could overhear the neighbour's plans for so many things in so much detail :!:

3. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    6m from front of garage to adopted footway or road if no footway.

4. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might be missing something but I can't figure out how a boundary aligns with a roof :!:

5. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The propose site layout approved by the local planning authority shows the number of parking spaces and garages and this forms part of the planning consent.

6. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What about removal of permitted development rights :?: I would bet pd rights have been removed on a development approved in the last few years.

7. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to know what they are planning to do.

8. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You cannot build over your neighbours land. Boundary registrations are arial view top down. The eaves are the extremity of the building as they would overhang 6 or so inches. So for most detached houses even though the neighbour has access up to the wall the edge of the property, the boundary is in line with roof.

I.e. you cannot do this (even though planning might approve it), without agreement from the neighbour. Unfortunately, once its done, courts are reluctant to undo it and compensation/damages often don't go beyond a few thousand.

[​IMG]

9. jonbey

jonbey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    that is shocking. So glad I have a defined boundary all the way around my house. Used to be in a semi-detached, that was not much fun with my crazy neighbours!

10. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes ,I know that (I have drawn plenty of conveyancing plans ) but I have never known things described as 'boundary aligning with the roof '. Anyway ,we will all now know what you mean.
    ps re photo - how the hell was that ever allowed:?::eek:

11. motorbiking

motorbiking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Forgive me - this is not my specialty in Law. I suspect if I'd said eaves not roof it would have been clearer.

in the above example - its worth remembering that you can get approval (from a planning and building control pov) to build on land you do not own. That does not mean you have the right to do so.

There have been plenty of cases of people applying for planning on their neighbours land in order to get it rejected, to stop future similar plans.

12. Leofric

Leofric

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, anybody can apply for planning permission providing you fill in the correct certificate on the application form and serve notice on the landowner.

Not heard of it being done for that reason,
    usually done if somebody is considering purchasing land or property for developing the site as far as I know ,but I think we are maybe getting away from the original queries.:)