New terraced houses - bin store on plans but not built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone may be able to advise me.

On the plans submitted to the local council and approved a development of 8 new houses had a communal bin storage area shown by one of the end terrace houses. However there has never been a bin storage area built and the area where it should have built is fenced and used for parking cars of one end terrace property.

I can see no "relaxation" of the rules letter or application on the planning portal.

A bin storage area would be handy for 5 of the terraces as rubbish must be carted up hill and for further than downhill to the storage area.

The houses were completed 18 months ago.

Is a bin storage area an asset or a liability?

Should the 5 terrace house owners receive compensation for the lack of a bin area? - after all when we get older carrying rubbish further uphill will be hard work - and the end terrace owner is now able to park his 2 cars by the side of his house. The nearest year round parking would otherwise be 50 metres away.

Any advice or previous experience of other examples of this situation would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is also covered by the Building Regulations, were they signed off by the council or are they NHBC etc ? Surely a call to your local planning authority would help get you some answers.

I don't think Building Control would give a damn about a bin store, I'd like to say I'd be surprised the planners wouldn't be very interested especially as they kick up such a fuss about bin stores for new dwellings during the planning application stage or at least they do in Plymouth, but knowing the general apathy of most planning department staff members they'd probably do sweet FA. You should be able to report it as a planning infringement though if nothing else.

Many thanks for replies

Private housing freehold - some are let out as holiday lets and some are second homes and except for the area of the bin storage shown on the plans there are no parking places. IE double yellow lines on the road and footpath frontages. All cars need to be parked aproximately 50 metres away in a public car park for year round parking or further away on roads for un-restricted parking.

Nothing in the deeds about the communal bin store - missed that in the excitement of moving in!

The end terrace house and the area where the plans show the bin store area was not completed when we moved in.

Still trying to work out in my head if a bin storage area is worth the expense

AGAINST

future maintenance bills for communal area (we each have small outside gardens where black sacks are correctly kept)

having to move black sacks a distance of 3 - 4 metres to the roadside on collection day IE holiday makers / second home owners rubbish because they forget etc

Not sure if Ltd builder still active so we each might have to pay for storage area and the as the bin storage area on plans is now inside a fenced area used as a garden by the end terrace house it may be difficult!

FOR

be able to take rubbish downhill when we get older

our house may be worth more as a holiday let/second home if there is a bin storage area away from the house itself

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back