Planning permission and ground level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, I have had a planning application approved for a single story extension which has been now been completed and built. The working section and the elevation drawing on the plans show the ground level built up to around 150mm below the new door openings the ground is now at this level.

The council are now suggesting i need to apply for planning for raising the ground level. My argument is that its shown on the working section at the level it is now at on the approved plans

Does anyone have experience on this. I don't want to pay planning again if i can avoid it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd let them suggest all they like. Don't submit anything else, as you'll have an uphill battle if you give them the opportunity to refuse something and they take it..

more details are needed to understand your situation. Neighbour dispute?

Thanks for that, they have sent me a letter saying i need to apply for planning for rasing the ground level to where it is shown on the already passed elevation drawings. Can they back track on the levels as all the drainage and inspection chambers are installed to that level

Probably was a neighbour who got them round

Agree with cjard. Do not apply! It is clearly shown within the previous permitted scheme. If they chase, just keep replying with the same justification, they will soon get tired and drop it.

Sponsored Links
As above, the council may even make out that they are doing you a favour and that permission is virtually guaranteed, then turn round and refuse! There are plenty of threads on here with that conclusion. The planners are not your friends, don't trust them!

See previous threads, they will probably go away. If they mention enforcement tell them you have built to the plans they approved and will appeal any enforcement and ask for an award of costs. Google it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think they must have received a complaint as they turned up unannounced to have look when I wasn't here and the wife let them in, she is very worried by their letter. Is there any way they can force me to apply and further to that can they go back on an already approved ground level if its in black and white?

If you have built as approved there is nothing they can do other that try to intimidate or trick you. After a number of letters they could try enforcement but its highly unlikely they will if you have built to plan.see above on how to handle enforcement threats. Hang tight and call their bluff as they will probably go away.

Thanks,

It was an enforcement officer who visited and then an enforcement letter stating we must apply for PP because of the raised ground level.

Part of me thought to just apply as they surely cant reverse a signed off ground level?

It's defiantly an enforcement letter?

What exactly does it say and is it true?

Your best approach is to respond to them in writing stating that you have built to the plans they approved and that you plan to appeal asking for an award of costs due to their unreasonable behaviour. I know it's tempting to cave in but just remember you may be digging a deeper hole for yourself if you do and they refuse. Think about how you would feel if they refuse and you ten have to face knocking it down or appealing a refusal anyway. Appealing enforcement when you have built to approved plans will be easier. Write to the head of planning stating your case and that you will appeal enforcement with costs, keep it simple and factual with no emotions.

Stand your ground

Do not apply for PP. Deal with the latest letter as mentioned. Had a similar situation when a neighbour complained retrospectively about my newly built property. I had swapped a dormer for a velux, informally agreed with the Planning Officer. The neighbour agreed but the Planning Officer said i need PP as it was not approved. I refused and offered temporary frosting for the neighbour to be removed when the left / sold their property or building the dormer. Never heard anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back