Planning Permission appeal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning Permission:

I’m very good friends with my neighbour we both have identical property’s. He had an extension built where he extended his kitchen and enclosed his car port as part of the process. He was given planning permission.

I’ve used the same architect and plans identical to my neighbour for my extension to the kitchen. However was refused permission due to enclosing the car port. Have I got grounds to appeal.
Also speaking to the planning officer he stated that it was an oversight by the previous planning manager for my neighbour.
What can I do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What can I do?
Not a lot. They wont approve another mistake.

Your appeal must be based on the [wrongful] application of planning policy so you must prove that the council's planning policy should allow your proposed works, so the question is - does it?

Doesn't your Architect know?

I have successfully used the argument that the council have been inconsistent with their interpretation of their own planning policies and have read lots of similar appeal examples. The planning inspectors seem to take a dim view when councils approve some applications and reject identical ones. Saying it was approved in error is a very lame excuse and just highlights their own incompetence. You have to cite those examples you are referring too, quote the application numbers and preferably include site photos and extracts from the planning applications. Ultimately most planning policies are so vague and ambiguous they are meaningless and you can twist the interpretation anyway that suits you.

If there are enough examples of similar extensions you can also use the argument that your proposal is in keeping with the character of nearby properties.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your reply, your info has been much appreciated. I will be speaking to the planning committee and my architect soon and I’ll update on the response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back