Planning Permission Changes or Extra Planning Application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have just had a planning application approved (with conditions) but we had a real back and forth as we did the whole thing ourselves. The Planning Department were not helpful at all along the way, I guess they are busy and simply expect us to know everything, or pay for someone who does. Anyway we reduced some aspects within our application to get it approved early on and now I'm unsure of how to go forward.

1. I would like to add some new roof lights/windows and these require planning permission, conservation area/listed building.

2. I would like to change one aspect of our design, having now 'used' the property a bit we realise some of our choices will not provide the best/most efficient use of space. The changes we would like to make are detailed in our elevations.

3. We removed change of use from our application to avoid a very high tax, but now we fall into exemption of this tax, so would like to apply for change of use again.

So my questions are,
(A) Can I submit subsequent planning applications before completing on the previous approved application?
(B) Can I update my current Approved Plan with (all/any) the 3 points above, and if so what kind of process would that entail? Would it cost? Would it really p**s off the planning department?

cheers for any help.
t.

Sponsored Links
A. Yes. A site can have any number of applications in the system
B. In testing whether something is an amend or a new app, amends shoukd rsise no new further reaching planning issues themselves. Changing the colour of you font door is an amend. Putting in a new window overlooking the neighbours rear garden isn't just about putting in glass but there are wider planning issues such as privacy to consider

Thanks for your reply, my main alteration is the rear of our building is currently a 2door 3window affair, and our approved planning application shows this changed to a wall to wall bu folding door set. We are now thinking 500mm of brick work on each side with french doors may be a better use. Obviously this would be a very different look, so wondering if this would cause too much of a hassle in the planning department?

If it's on the back of the house, and the extension is not being enlarged, it's doubtful that the council could consider that the change is 'material' and in that case, the plan could be amended without a fresh application.

Sponsored Links
I concur. . That would be an amendment rather than a full app.. was it because you saw the price of bifolds vs patio doors? I naively specified 5 sets of bi folds on my new house and am now looking at changing a few to patio doors for this reason!

1. I would like to add some new roof lights/windows and these require planning permission, conservation area/listed building.

Do you fall under all three?

For planning permission there should be a proceedure for "non material amendments" which these may well fall under.

If its a listed building, these alterations should defo be approved beforehand. There is no means of approving "non material amendments"

If its just planning and the alterations are not material (think from a neighbours point of view as they would be the guys that would grass you up) you may choose to get on with it (at minimal risk) and then retrospectively provide updated drawings as a non material amendment, that way if you make any more tweeks (more than likely) the drawings will accurately reflect what has been built on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back