Planning permission for big shed on boundary,is there hope?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I know you can build up to 2.5m near a boundary wall but I want to build a shed slightly bigger.

I'd like to build a 4m shed with a pitched roof and 2.5m to the eaves.
I intend to use it for woodwork/hobbies. I know I could build a shed like this 2m away from the edge of my garden but this would take up a lot of space.

Does anyone else have any similar experience with building over 2.5 meters near a boundary wall? Is it likely to get declined straight away or is there hope?

There is a giant concrete shed to the back of my garden. On my neighbours side I would be shading the part of the garden.

If there's a chance it could get accepted I would go for it otherwise I'll save myself the planning fee and just build a 2.5m flat roof shed.

(The reason I want a pitched roof because it looks nicer.)

I'd be very grateful to hear from someone else who's needed planning permission to build a shed.

Cheers,

Ian

Sponsored Links
I've no experience of this kind of application but if you do apply and it gets sticky then perhaps demonstrate the shadow that a flat roofed PD building would cast compared to a pitched roof building. 45 degrees shadow is normally the standard measure.

Hope that helps & good luck.

Ah, that's interesting.

My shed would be south facing so most of the shadow from my shed would fall on the back of the concrete behemoth that my neighbour at the end of the garden has built.

Thanks, that could be a useful point.

Sponsored Links
Save yourself the fee? A householder application is £172.. It's hardly a significant sum in the face of actually building the shed, or even something more mundane you do every month like tanking up the car or going out on the razz a couple of times..

That said, see if the council will do you a free advice; draw something up, explain your reasons, shadow casts etc and ask for their opinion of its chances as a planning application. You might have to wait a while (I waited 3 months for my 5 page letter of guidance but that was about a major construction of 2 new dwelligns) but it should give you an idea of the personailty of the case officer and their feeling towards what you want to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back