Planning permission????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a quote from British Gas for a replacement combi boiler. Our current system uses a Worcester Bosch Hi Flow 400. We want to replace it with a similar rating and capacity wall mounted boiler.
The quote for the job was pretty outrageous but among the detailed breakdown for this job was £150 for gaining planning permission for the installation. I was assured by the chap quoting me that it was a requirement that all new combi boiler installations have to have planning permission. Is this realy true or is British Gas trying to pull the wool over the eyes of their prospective customers?

Sponsored Links
All new boiler installs have to be registered with the local authorities and they charge for this.This also applies to double glazing etc.BG are just passing on the cost to you.I'd be interested in what boiler will replace your 400.

All new boiler installs have to be registered with the local authorities and they charge for this.
How much? We're planning on replacing our boiler soon and hadn't factored this cost in.

You'd think someone like British Gas would be able to self-certify (a la FENSA-registered installers for double glazing) but from what you have said presumably this is not an option for boilers?

Incidentally, obtaining planning permission (which for obvious reasons is usually done before work is carried out!) seems like a very different issue than registering a new installation which sounds like it would occur after the fact...? Can you elaborate on what the process is?

Mathew

Sponsored Links
OK if it is a requirement I can understand the charge (but not how much). The next question is why? Who decided it was a requirement to register these installations and for what reason?
I would love to elaborate on the process but I am in the dark as much as anyone. It seems to me that they used the term 'planning permission' to inflate the costs involved I am pretty sure that you are probably correct and the replacement will have to be registered.
The boiler they are quoting for is a British Gas 542 High Efficiency Boiler. I was told that this boiler is made by Worcester Bosch but is branded British Gas?
Just for everyones info British Gas quoted for this installation £4622 minus £300 warmfront grant. As you can probably guess more quotes are in the pipeline.

I would love to elaborate on the process but I am in the dark as much as anyone.
My question was aimed at 45yearsagasman not you! :)

Just for everyones info British Gas quoted for this installation £4622 minus £300 warmfront grant. As you can probably guess more quotes are in the pipeline.
Sounds about right, for British Gas at least. As a general rule of thumb you will find them about twice the price of everyone else. They will often fit you a towel radiator for 'free' though so it's not all bad. ;)

Mathew

You do not need Planning Permission to fit a new boiler, new DG or any other self certifying registered trade for that matter, it must only comply with Building REgulations which is completely different. A self certifying registered installer will issue you with a certificate of compliance which usually comes from their trade registration authority but not always who will also copy said certificate to your LABC dept so it is kept on file as “authorised building work”. There is no fee for this as far as I’m aware, you only get charged if LABC come & inspect work which they won’t if the work is undertaken by a registered installer.

Whoever is quoting you from British Gas is taking the **** & just trying to lump you with an additional & unjustified charge as far as I can see.

Thanks for the clarifying Richard. Can 45yearsagasman comment on this discrepancy of understanding? (..and declare whether they work for British Gas? ;))

Incidentally, I'm sure there must be some cases where planning permission is required as typically with listed buildings etc anything that modifies the appearance (internally or externally) is often subject to such scrutiny. The OP would likely have been aware, and stated such, had this been the case for them however.

Mathew

Incidentally, I'm sure there must be some cases where planning permission is required as typically with listed buildings etc anything that modifies the appearance (internally or externally) is often subject to such scrutiny. The OP would likely have been aware, and stated such, had this been the case for them however.
Yes there will be but there seemed little point in going into that sort of detail at this stage as, in most cases, it won’t apply.

The whole kin things a farce, you send in a guarantee to the manufacturer, you notify GasFarce, they notify the Council, and guess what, they all wipe their arses on it when a "known" issue comes up, it's just another money making scam and a total waste of time.

I spend customers money, for them to get a piece of paper from someone else who never even visits the job, to tell them I fitted the appliance, errr, didn't they already know it was me when they got me in to quote and while I was there fitting it drinking their tea and when they paid me.

The whole kin things a farce, you send in a guarantee to the manufacturer, you notify GasFarce, they notify the Council, and guess what, they all wipe their a**es on it when a "known" issue comes up, it's just another money making scam and a total waste of time.

I spend customers money, for them to get a piece of paper from someone else who never even visits the job, to tell them I fitted the appliance, errr, didn't they already know it was me when they got me in to quote and while I was there fitting it drinking their tea and when they paid me.
As Franky boy sings, "That's life" if ya don't like it "Get on a big bird & fly" ;) :LOL:

Who's Franky boy ?
I can understand why you may not get it from my quoted lyrics (although they are part of a current advertising campaign on BBC) but either you had avery sad upbringing or your far too young to remember one of the best singers & entertainers (even with dodgy connections) that ever lived ;)

View media item 28970
long live the Rat Pack ------ or are you now going to ask me who they were :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back