Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
I was wondering if anyone can help, I have a 6ft wall running alongside the backhalf of my house about 3ft 6ins away, What i would like to do is install a few windows on top of the wall,then have a slopping roof attached from my house to the top of the windows then install a door at one end. The other end will be against the back half of my property therefore making an enclosed area which can then be used as a utility room or something to that effect.
As there is a lane,walkway call it what you like running alongside my house would i need planning permission to carry out this work.
I await in anticipation for any replies.
Monty caboodle
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
may need permision for changing the look of the building especially in a conservation area.

Take a rough drawing to the BCO and they will tell you for free advice.

Sponsored Links
Building Control Office, your local planning department

First of all you need top establish who the wall belongs to, you can’t just go building on top of it! This type of ‘mod’ is common for a lean to garden storage or bike shed (I have one) but what you are proposing, i.e. a utility with electricity & water, would contravene so many of the building regulations - a completely separate issue to planning regulations! It could also transfer damp into your house wall causing problems there. I can’t see any way in which your local council would allow it!

Richard C said:
I can’t see any way in which your local council would allow it!
Yes you maybe right but they will tell you how to get round it.

Thanks one and all,
Will take a trip to see my local BCO.
Richard C thanks for your advice, I live in an end terrace so the wall is mine, i think you will be right about the electrics.
Montycaboodle :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back