PLANNING PERMISSION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a new entrance to my property. This will involve cutting into the side wall and installing a new front door. The current front door will then be bricked up to match the surrounding area.
Do I have to get planning permission to change the front appearance of my house?
The house is not in a conservation area and is not a listed building.

Sponsored Links
I want to create a new entrance to my property. This will involve cutting into the side wall and installing a new front door. The current front door will then be bricked up to match the surrounding area.
Do I have to get planning permission to change the front appearance of my house?
The house is not in a conservation area and is not a listed building.

You don't normally need planning permission to insert windows or doors but you should check with your local planning dept to make sure permitted development rights have not been removed.

This doesn't sound like it needs explicit planning permission to me, but best to check with the planning authority. As previous poster says, the council can in theory withdraw the usual rights using a thing called an Article 4 Direction.

If you are in a National Park, for example, you may not have the same rights.

Sponsored Links
You will however require building regulation approval, which can be done via a Building Notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back