Do I need planning permission? - Conservation Area house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in conservation area. On the council planning portal, it does not show if Article 4 applies to my property so I suppose it does not apply to my property.
I have to make following updates to my property and was wondering if I need to apply for planning permission for any of these:
1. Front Door: My front door is made of wood and single glazed glass. White in colour with one glass side panel. I want to install a new composite front door in Grey colour. This new door will have 2 side panels. Am I allowed to change the front door without planning permission and change its colour from While to Grey too?

2. I need to replace wooden Cladding, Facia and Soffits in the front and side of the property. The existing items are made of wood. I want to change it to UPVC. I am not changing the colour. It will remain White. Am I allowed to change cladding, Facia and Soffits without planning permission?

3. I have a balcony on the first floor that is in the front of the house. This balcony has wooden rails. I want to change this wooden planks and wooden rails with Satin Glass and steel rails. Again, am I allowed to do it without planning permission?

I have enquired with Bromley council but they refused to confirm if I need planning permission for any of the above work.

Sponsored Links
I would read with extreme care because Guildford homes in the conservation area would not allow some of these changes

They are all repairs no permission required.
I am not an expert and hence asking on this forum but Conservation area has specific requirements in terms of what can or cannot be done in the front of the house and my house is in a conservation area.

Sponsored Links
I am not an expert and hence asking on this forum but Conservation area has specific requirements in terms of what can or cannot be done in the front of the house and my house is in a conservation area.
The works you describe are repairs, so do not come under PD or planning permission.

However, the conservation area rules are that even repair/replacement should be "in keeping" with the area generally. In keeping can be subjective, and is not prescriptive.

BTW, you can check for an Article 4 directive by looking at the council's maps. You can check for removal of PD rights as a condition by looking at the property planning history.

The works you describe are repairs, so do not come under PD or planning permission.

However, the conservation area rules are that even repair/replacement should be "in keeping" with the area generally. In keeping can be subjective, and is not prescriptive.

BTW, you can check for an Article 4 directive by looking at the council's maps. You can check for removal of PD rights as a condition by looking at the property planning history.
How do I find out what is "in keeping"?
Do you mean to say that in a previous planning application for the same property, I should check if Council has said that PD right does not apply? This property never had any planning application for this type where council had to comment on PD rights. Previous applications were for boiler and electric wire replacements.
Bromley Council does not have an article 4 map - at least I could not find one on council portal.

Few of my neoghbours have changed their fornt door without any planning permissions in last 2 years.
When it comes to facia, soffits and cladding, the neoighbourhood has mixed material. Some have changed from wood to UPVC without any planning permission.
There is only one house on the road with front balcony and they have removed the balcony, again without any council permission.

Looking at how my neighbours have been working, I feel that I should just do it without talking to council first. Then I think about a noisy neighbour who has complained to council few times for me. Not sure, how to get right information from council as they do not pick up calls or reply to email. They only have one response that apply for planning permission to find out if you need one. Really loosing hopes...

Bromley Council does not have an article 4 map
I searched "Article 4' from the home page and got

SmartSelect_20240225_210855_Edge.jpg

There's lots of conservation area guides too, and why they are .... ie the features they want to preseve .... which is the in keeping bit..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back