planning query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys.
i have been refused planning perm for a 4m deep single story rear ext on my 3 bed semi.

although there are no 4m deep ext in my immediate area, but if i move about a mile away in the same borough. there are lots of rear extensions from 3m to
4.5 m deep!

do you guys think it is worth appealing and telling the council about the other extensions or would this not matter as they are not near me??

Sponsored Links
Similar developments a mile away are irrelevant. Whether an appeal is worth going for depends on several factors, is the extension in keeping with the house, does it meet the criteria of the Local Plan etc.

What were the reasons for its refusal? It is these reasons amongst others that would need to be addressed in an appeal. Have you read the officers report? Did you or your agent have discussions with the planners during the approval period? If so what was their opinion?

there were no discussions had with the planning dept by myself and i had no agent.

the reason was it was too large and would make the neighbors feel enclosed and not inkeeping with the character of the house etc. i don't have the report to hand so can't quote the exacts words.

i think i might be flogging a dead horse on this one as i have checked the nearby streets and all extensions are no more than 3m deep but there is a side ext on one house which is 3.7m deep!

Monday morning get on the blower to the case officer and discuss what they would accept. They will talk to you if you ask.

Sponsored Links
If this is your first refusal, remember you are entitled to a free to go to submit revised drawings, free of charge... providing the design is similar. Look at going down that route before thinking about appealing.

Post an image or copy of the drawing, and you may get some critique/advice.

"Too large" and "not in keeping" and similar, are subjective opinions repeated parrot-fashion in the planning world .. and are nonsense when you see timber boxes on the back of Edwardian terraces, and side extensions as big as the existing house.

Also think about a running in your appeal at the same time as a re-submission as this can give the planners food-for-thought in terms of what they may like to accept instead of what may be granted on appeal

As a potential guide, locally we are allowed 3m depth on a semi and 4m on a detached dwelling? I take it yours is a semi?

Local examples only give an indication of what maybe allowed, some examples may have been yrs ago + some maybe without any Approvals.

The tech term is: "other material considerations" i.e. a precedent has already be set.

However I don't think this is relevant to your application.

As already posted! consult your case officer, before you go down the appeal process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back