Planning required for en-suite bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Do we need planning permission or building warrant for en-suite?
Also, we have a window from the hall into a new family bathroom (which previously overlooked a courtyard). I would like to replace the window with a leaded glass panel. Does that flout any building regs?
Thanks for help,
BB

Sponsored Links
If you're forming an internal en-suite, then Building Regulations will apply. The only time you may have to apply for planning permission if the new en-suite was to be external.

A window is a controlled fitting under the Building Regulations and as such would warrant a Building Regulation application. If you choose to have a FENSA registered installer install the window, then a Building Regulation application is not required, but just certification from the installer.

However, this is an internal window?

Hi
Thanks for that.
Yes, it is an internal window. We were just going to block it up on one side and use recess on other for shelf, but want to use leaded glass panel to maintain as much light as possible in hall. The leaded glass panel is about half the size of the original window.
Do you think that would be acceptable to do? I wasn't sure if we had to use frosted glass or something dimilar - the panel we want to use has plain glass but is coloured. We would be detailing this on our building warrant drawings for the new bathroom.
Jac

I can't see any reason why not and as it's internal, I can't see why you'd have to inform Building Control. If and when they come to inspect the installation works, you can mention it but as there will be no structural alterations and u-values/thermal regulations wont come into it as it's internal, they will not be worried about it.

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard
Thanks - that was very useful. We shall make sure to site the panel above the critical location cut-off!
Thanks again -
BB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back