Planning & Trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a largish bay tree that is 14m from the rear of the house. We are planning a 4m rear extension.

How close does a tree have to be for it to need to be included on the plans?

We want to cut the tree down prior to building and would prefer for the tree not be on the plans / included in the decision as a condition.

(it is unlikely we will be able to get it cut down before we submit the application)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its being cut down and not protected, then it doesn't matter if it's on the plans or not

The tree is not currently protected.

I am cutting it down as it is on the SW corner of a large patio (rear outlook is West) and it blocks light & view. More so when we extend rearwards.

Just want to be sure it is unlikely planners would/could include mention tree in decision/conditions that would subsequently require me to get permission to cut it down.

Alternative would be to omit from plans and cut down before site visit/decision?
(ie plans due to be submitted in 2wks, I could get it cut down shortly after that?)

Sponsored Links
If you applying under the Prior Notification scheme, rather than a full planning application, and the tree is not protected by a TPO, then you don't need to include it on the plans as the Council can't take it into account when determining the application anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back