Planting Spring Onions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I just started planting some of my veg. I started with spring onions. Due to space I need to grow everything in troughs or pots instead of in the ground. I planted my spring onions in individual small containers to get them started inside (i will then move them to the growhouse later)

In each very small pot I threw a few seeds in. Nearly every single one sprouted to my delight.

I now, however have clusters of sprouts in each pot very very close together (some of them have 7 or 8! nearly touching ).

What impact will this have and should have only have put one seed in each? Or are they like chives and like to be in close groups?

Previously I grew everything outside so it was spread out but just getting used to the whole pot growing.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Spring onions should be sown from March to July in short rows 13mm(1/2") deep and 10cm(4") between rows. Thin them out to 25mm(1") if you want more developed salad onions but it is not necessary.

Sowings should be repeated every three weeks so that you have a supply for your salads throughout June to October. Sow a few rows in August for eating in March/May.

But... there`s always a but :0) - if you are very short of space grow some in a container filled with potting compost.

he goes on to say that he sucessfully grows his spring onions in a piece of 4 inch guttering..

thin them out, but wait till they are strong enough to handle. i normally start my leeks in seed trays and then seperate them out, never causes any problems later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back