Chilli plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have chilli plants growing in my windowsill in pots. Some 2 to a pot & some single. They have all been growing fine, and recently they have all produced plenty of flowers and some have started producing fruit. But, since they have started to produce actual chillis its like the plants have gone into slow motion. Any ideas on whats changed?

Sponsored Links
Chillies like a good stable heat, no lower than 20 C, kept moist, check carefully for very fine webs (red spider mite).

Theyve been on that windowsill for months now, no issues. Just seems since they started producing fruit they have really slowed down. Do they need extra feed/water whilst they are producing fruit? Maybe the temperature is slightly colder during the night now?

Theyve been on that windowsill for months now, no issues. Just seems since they started producing fruit they have really slowed down. Do they need extra feed/water whilst they are producing fruit? Maybe the temperature is slightly colder during the night now?

Yep, probably getting cold overnight. They shouldn't need feeding now.

Sponsored Links
Would putting a plastic cloche type of thing help retain any day time heat?

Chillis are annuals (like tomatoes). Expect to harvest the fruits and then it will die. Plant new ones next year.

If it’s in danger of dying before you have got fruits, yes try to keep it warm i.e. choose the sunniest windowsill, maybe a plastic lid overnight etc. It may not help though.

I’ve generally found that I get lots of flowers but relatively few develop to fruits before the conditions have got too cold. (I”m in Edinburgh). I think starting them early enough in the spring is probably the important thing. Maybe some varieties are better suited to a shorter season. Same with tomatoes - I started too late this year (obvious reasons) and now I have plenty of green fruit that may never ripen.

See also:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/chilli-pepper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back