plaster a room, and later make it a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just doing my house up and we have ripped out the old bathroom.
We are not looking to do this as yet as money is going on other things en suite ect.
What I want to do is plaster the hole thing out and use it for the time being as a office.
But knowing later on it will become a main bathroom again.
I am getting the pipes ect to where i need them for new layout but want to just plaster it out for now. Do you see this being a issue when I come to tile ect?
Within the proposed bathroom we are going to have a shower and was going to backer board this area. Can this also be skimmed over for time being also?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
so you have a second bathroom?

be accurate with all your fixture dimensions, then you can first-fix accurately.
yes, no problem plastering and skimming the whole room.
then, when ready, fix the backer boards over the new plaster.

Hey. Thanks for the reply no we just have 2 en-suits. So as of right now we dont need main bathroom, Money can be spent else where, but I would like to 1st fix for new layout witch I have done when we go back to main bathroom. But for the time being plaster it all out and use as a office. Then when we ready later on turn back in to main bathroom.
I just wanted to know its ok to tile on to plastered walls and if I can put the baker boards on now around where the shower will be going later down the line but skim them too, but dont want it to give me a issue is all.
Thanks

No sockets will be allowed in the room when it is a bathroom.

You might consider screwing Dado Trunking to the wall, it can easily be removed later and you can have all your switches and sockets in it (useful in a workroom or office), 150mm above desk, worktop or bench height. You can put LAN and telephone cabling in separate compartments inside it as well.

UVSLSX.JPG

You'll have seen this kind of thing in offices and hospitals.

Have an isolator outside the room so you can turn the power off and strip out the cabling when the time comes.

Sponsored Links
Haha thanks JohnD I have all my power ect sorted in ducting ready to be pulled out when needed. Thanks tho.
Just need to know about the tiles on plaster and if ok to plaster backerboard to help me out with the way I am panning it.
Thanks

if the b/b's are going on now then no need to plaster behind them and definitely dont plaster on them.

thing is, the surfaces of the plastering and the b/b's must be on the same plane so that the tiling runs through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back