Plaster advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have put some plasterboard up but I have some undesirable gaps between boards and corner edges.What is best to use to fill in gaps before skimming and can you plaster on to wooden strut about 8cm in size this is above the door frame to ceiling does this needing bonding agent??
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you getting a plasterer in? If not and you have to ask these questions I would n't attempt it myself..No offence.. ;)

if it was me Id just cut a small bit of p/b off and nail it into the strut then just use the skrim over the edges.

Yes getting plaster in but wanted to be a more prepared.The wooden strut
is levelled with plaster on the walls would you PVA them also have a channel dugout in the plaster for cabling not much as I put most of the wiring behind the skirting and door frame.(25mm deep).

Sponsored Links
Yes getting plaster in but wanted to be a more prepared.The wooden strut is levelled with plaster on the walls would you PVA them also have a channel dugout in the plaster for cabling not much as I put most of the wiring behind the skirting and door frame.(25mm deep).
It’s unusual for timber battens/fixing struts to be left flush with the base plaster; if your plasterer skims directly over the wooden strut, it will always crack & fall off due to the differential expansion between the wood & the surrounding plaster. What happens is the wood absorbs the moisture from the plaster & expands, the plaster dries & sets, the wood then dries out again & shrinks & the plaster cracks & falls off. Timber can be unstable to plaster over at the best of times & is usually left flush with the brickwork, meshed & then base plastered before the skim. I usually stick a piece of plasterboard over it as suggested but I’m not sure how you can get around it; you could try sealing it with SBR waterproof sealer (not PVA) which may work but I wouldn’t hold my breath. The cable channel will need prior filling out level & the cables should ideally be protected with steel capping but I would ask & expect your plasterer to do that prior to re-skimming.

As far as prepping for your plasterer goes, don’t do anything unless you talk to them first. It’s an important part of the job, doesn’t take long & many, like me, will not be happy with the customer prepping as they can’t be 100% sure it’s been done correctly; if I prep & it goes wrong it can only be my fault! But if they are happy for you to do it, follow their instructions to the letter.

Hi thanks for all the advice I will try and chap into wooden struts and attach Plasterboard strips.I looking for best results so plaster on to plasterboard is the way to go.Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back