Removed wall between toilet&bathroom- plastering advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer me any advice on a couple of queries please, in relation to preparing for a plasterer?

I have just removed a partition wall between a small toilet and bathroom. This is my first DIY job I have done like this and really enjoyed it.

The wall came down relatively easily with a small chisel and lump hammer and advice from the building section on here - thanks.

1) The wall was non-load bearing. Prior to removing the wall I made an incision in the plaster on all adjoining walls to prevent unecessary damage. Where the removed wall met the ceiling you can see the plaster board running across the ceiling in good condition, however, there is obviously now a gap in the old layer of 'skimmed plaster'. Currently, where this old skimmed plaster ends (where I cut it) it is straight, but rough and has bits of plaster tape in it. Can this gap be filled / skimmed by a plasterer? Or do I need to prepare it in some other way? Presumably I need to remove all of the old plaster tape?

2) I am building a stud wall to block up the old toilet door, and where false wall was (above the toilet door), I have a similar issue to the first question i.e. again I can see the plaster board in good condition on the ceiling, but there is a gap in the skimmed plaster which is straight, but rough and has plaster tape in it - this is on the side of the landing ceiling and bathroom ceiling. When I have built the stud wall I will need to have this gap ?filled and ?skimmed over. Do I need to prepare this in some way, such as removing more of the old plaster and tape, etc.

Sorry for the lengthy post! Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back