Removed wall between toilet & bathroom - walls not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone offer me any advice please?

I have just removed a partition wall between a small toilet and bathroom. This is my first DIY job I have done like this and really enjoyed it.

The wall came down relatively easily with a small chisel and lump hammer and advice from the building section on here - thanks.

As suspected the back walls (plaster) are not level, they are about 2-3mm out. What is the best way to deal with this?

a) have the one wall re-skimmed so that it is level with the other wall?
b) tile the back wall to cover up the 'step'?
c) remove all old plaster from the back walls and re-plaster board and skim? (I am least keen on this idea, but will do it if it has to be done)
d) some other way?

Any advice appreciated,
Many thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
you can make up 3 mm with a skim coat if it's all sound plaster..
if it's hollow sounding and is not dot 'n' dab already then it'll need to come off..

3mm isn't a lot, I have known it to be 20mm out when doing knock throughs.

Either knock off bonding coat/ sand+cement and redo or as mentioned- just re skim

Sponsored Links
do you intend to tile it regardless, if so providing the plaster is in good condition. Tile it.
You could consider a re-skim over the troublesome wall,
Is it painted if so you may need to remove that or prime the wall before you plaster it. If you are considering an over skim, that is.

Hi guys, many thanks for the replies.

On closer inspection of the walls today, the distance that they differ varies up the wall. At the bottom (first 1.5 ft) they are level, in the middle they are out more than I thought, about 10mm, and they are leveller at the top. There is currently a lip on each ends of the plasterboard, where they originally started to curve around the wall, which makes it harder to measure accurately. Tomorrow I am going to sand this lip off so I can get accurate measurements.

The plaster is in excellent condition, it looks as though they plastered directly onto the walls, without any board (it is a 50 year old ex-council property).

Many thanks for your time in replying,
Thanks and regards,
Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back