Gap between wall and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just knocked a fan light above a door out to create a flush look with the reat of the wall. Door frames went right up to roof and attached to a scrap bit of timber across 2 joists. Anyway I have built a small room above the door lining to fix a piece of plasterboard ready to be skimmed along with the whole wall to blend in.

Ive noticed the the ceiling board stops at the wall and once the plasterboard is skimmed there will be a considerable gap with nothing for plaster to adhere to.

Will some sort of plasterers mesh attached to the frame I have built be enough. This will be put on through the loft and will overlap over the existing ceiling boards by a couple inches.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The junction between ceiling and wall is taped.

If there is a gap it can be blocked out with bonding before taping, your plasterer will sort it out no problem.

Thanks. Im keen to learn a bit more about this for my own knowledge.

So a new frame has gone up above the door and plasterboarded.
It needs skimming to blend in with the rest of the wall.

A gap as much as 1 inch in from the wall is showing but generally around half inch. Looking up through the gap is the loft therefore just a void space.
You say apply bonding but how will this stick if there is nothing for it to adhere to?

Heres a couple of pics

Is there room to fit another sheet on there?

Hope youre putting more screws in as well ;)

Sponsored Links
No room for another sheet. Worst case is getting in the loft and fixing something from above. More of a patch job. Would have to fight my way thru the insulation though.

Could i use several screws protruding out the frame/plasterboard just above ceiling level to use as a key. These will be covered once bonding and skim coat applied.

You can see 2 joists above. Maybe fixing a thin strip of mesh?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back