Plasterboard level with old ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous hallway layout included a cupboard above the stairs and a bit of a bodged surface to the ceiling.

I removed it all and reframed the ceiling and wall above the stairs. See image below.

The framing for the small new section of ceiling leaves the 9mm plasterboard flush with the current ceiling plaster ( under and over flush in places by 1mm) that way I can use bonding in any gaps and skim the whole ceiling as one. Is this a better idea than trying to put plasterboard underflush and matching the new with old?

The final decoration will be lightly textured ceiling paper :)

IMAG0997.jpg

IMAG0998.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the new plasterboard is more or less level with the existing ceiling level, then do as you say, fill up any wide gaps,, tape the joints, then pva the existing ceiling and skim the whole thing.

Cheers rough caster.

Yes the new PB will be very close to flush, but due to variation in the current surface it varies from from under to over flush.

That often happens when a ceiling is patched/boarded new to old. A "competent plasterer" will be able to take care of any differences in the new to old, but skimming the whole ceiling, is by far the best, and quickest way to finish the job, especially if it's an older ceiling.
Don't forget to put some noggins between your new ceiling "joists" where the ceiling meets the "new wall", You'll need them for screwing the end of the plasterboard sheet,,,, just sayin'. lol.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Getting the board level with the old wouldn't be hard if the old was actually straightish

But as you say skimming it all should produce a good end result!

It really will, and done properly, you wont even need to paper it, just a couple of coats of paint. Seal the new plaster first with a coat of THINNED DOWN MATT emulsion, then put on your usual emulsion.

Yeah my partners dad is pretty good at skimming. And I have done exactly as you say before in other rooms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back