Plaster board on plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Just removed all the tiles from my bathroom and scraped off all the adhesive left behind but then realised I'd have to plaster the whole room cos the plasterboard surface was left in a pretty bad state. Decided to remove the plasterboard instead and put up some new baord. The plasterboard was cemented to another piece of plasterboard behind though. Do you have to use cement (or whatever the grey adhesive stuff is) or can they be nailed/ screwed together - If not, looks like I going to have to scrape off all this cement. Is there any particluar reason why the plasterboard would be doubled up?

DIY novice!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard dry walling is put up using dabs of Dry Wall Adhesive (dot & dab) which is the grey stuff you can see. As to why there are 2 boards, it could be the original was damaged when previous tiles were removed, to make up space or for any number of other reasons & it’s not uncommon. You should consider using Aquapanel or similar if the area your tiling is subject to water contact (shower cubicle or behind the bath) as plasterboard will disintegrate if damp penetrates the tile grout/adhesive.

Sponsored Links
you can also tank normall plasterboard if you dont like to use aquapanel.

aquapanel isn't meant to be skimmed so (or so i'm lead to beleive) and if you intend only to tile a certain part of a wall i would dot n dab plasterboard skim it then tank the required areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back