Plaster board onto old plaster...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm in the process of redoing the bathroom and have started to remove the tiles from the wall, the previous owner has tiled over tiles so it's taking a little longer than planned but I was wondering if you could answer this question.

Where the shower is going is a stud wall so I'm going to remove the old plaster & plasterboard and re board it using moisture boards.

The wall which runs along side this is an outside wall, when I've removed the tiles from this it's taken some areas back to the breeze block, my question is, can I just dot and dab this with plasterboard / moisture board or will it need taking back to the breeze block fully and then plastering over that?

If you need pictures let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links
depends whats left on the wall, other than ‘breeze’ block

Thanks for the reply, it looks like this, I'm going to try and remove as much as the tile adhesive as possible... not sure why the images have flipped.

if you can scrape the adhesive and paint back to plaster the wall looks as if it may be ok to tile .

Sponsored Links
if you can scrape the adhesive and paint back to plaster the wall looks as if it may be ok to tile .

Ok great, I'm going to fill the little holes at the bottom with some filler, will that be ok?

I've been told a wallpaper steamer and a scrapper will do the trick.

Steamer should soften the tile adhesive as other have said. If you're retiling the wall, it doesn't need to be perfectly flat. You can use a thicker bed of tile adhesive if there are significant holes etc.

If you can't get it back to a decent enough surface to tile on (and i think you will be able to) and you decide to plasterboard, you only need to knock the existing plaster off where the dabs are going to go to bond the new plasterboard to the block.

Ok, I've managed to get the tiles adhesive off and I've started to plasterboard the stud wall.

Does this wall need plasterboarding too or can I tile straight onto the wall? This is what it currently looks like?

The gap between the plasterboard and the wall, I'll be able to use a thicker bed of adhesive so there isn't a gap, is that correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back