Bathroom plasterboard suggestions please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Quick question about bathrooms and tiling!

I am currently working on the walls of a new bathroom!

I will use moisture resistant plasterboard in the ceiling and tile backer boards on the stud walls!

I would like to dot n dab a 40mm insulated plasterboard against a block wall. Can I use standard boards, then paint them with a sealer and fully tile them, or do I need a moisture resistant board (even though it will be tiled?)

Basically, how do I achieve an insulated plasterboard, with a fully tiled finish in a bathroom?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi. Quick question about bathrooms and tiling!

I am currently working on the walls of a new bathroom!

I will use moisture resistant plasterboard in the ceiling and tile backer boards on the stud walls!

I would like to dot n dab a 40mm insulated plasterboard against a block wall. Can I use standard boards, then paint them with a sealer and fully tile them, or do I need a moisture resistant board (even though it will be tiled?)

Basically, how do I achieve an insulated plasterboard, with a fully tiled finish in a bathroom?

Thanks
Depends on layout. I used insulated plasterboard on en-suite shower room walls before tiling but wet area I used shower panels.

Sponsored Links
I used standard 12.5mm Foil Lined plasterboard onto tanalised batons, giving the outer face just one coat of dryline sealer, before tilling with water resistant adhesive. 2 coats not recommended as this could reduce tile adhesion . However, I ensured to use concrete boards on all surfaces open to water splashes - shower, bath surround etc. Between the boards, I first inserted 50mm foil backed Kingsmere type board for increased insulation overcovered by polythene sheet before attaching plaster and concrete boards, giving a 62.5 mm (2.5") reduction in those parts of room before tiling. In the 3 bath/shower rooms so treated, no problems after 20 years.

Using the batons with spacers where needed to ensure true vertical and horizontal, removed any out of line wall and out of square issues at corners (especially helpful when fitting shower cabinets. This aided bath fitting and tiling calculations and also allowed for behind the wall cabling for ceiling and cabinet lighting, and macerator operation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back