plaster board or plaster on to brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im in the process of having a new bathroom fitted and when the old tiles came off, so did the plaster. I have now removed all the plaster and am down to bare brick. I have been told to D&D plaster board directly on to the wall but i have also been advised to get a plaster in who will apply hardwall to the brick and then a final few coats of plaster.
Which is the best option?

Sponsored Links
The second one, proper solid.
Although if the wall is solid without a cavity, the first option, using insulated plasterboard will keep the room warmer, at the expense of a few inches. (exterior walls only)

Hi,
Im in the process of having a new bathroom fitted and when the old tiles came off, so did the plaster. I have now removed all the plaster and am down to bare brick. I have been told to D&D plaster board directly on to the wall but i have also been advised to get a plaster in who will apply hardwall to the brick and then a final few coats of plaster.
Which is the best option?

If ye tiling it mate just Fix plaster boards with D&D but also some proper fixings, depending on the weight of the tiles you are going to put on, plasterboard actually holds more weight than plaster skim

thanks for the advice. One of the walls is a cavity, the other three are internal single brick walls. Does D&D not suit a cavity wall?. Also what do you mean by using some proper fixings as well as D&D.
Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Also what do you mean by using some proper fixings as well as D&D.
Thanks again!

Along with the Dot & dab use some mechanical fixings too. So basically once you have dot & dabbed the boards in, wait till they set then drill holes straight through the P/B into the brick. Pop a wall plug in and screw the board to the wall. Will give you extra peace of mind. Make sure your holes are not too big though as your screws will go straight through. You could get away with a 5.5mm drill bit and pop in some red plugs.

Although to be honest the dot and dab should hold the boards in place no problem whatsoever. You would possibly use additional fixings if you were maybe dot and dabbing aquapanel/cement board although you wouldn't 'normally' dot and dab cement based boards anyway.

I'm with Deluks; my personal preference would be to base coat & skim (proper plaster) especially in a bathroom but then I'm biased. But if you decide to go with D&D plasterboard, only use Moisture resistant in a bathroom but in wet areas either tank it or, preferably, use waterproof tile backer board. You won’t need additional fixings through the D&D plasterboard if it’s done properly but if you need extra piece of mind, use through (frame) fixings instead of wall plugs & screws. This is one method I use for cement based backer boards over brick but you must fix through the adhesive dabs & not through fresh air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back