Plastering in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently re-fitted my bathroom and to my horror where the cast iron bath used to be there was no plaster on the wall, just bare brick. Question is what is the best plaster to use? I've also fitted a new shower but i dont see moisture as a problem as the bathroom is well vented. Do i use bonding and then a skim of plaster or browning to do the whole job? :D

Sponsored Links
Brutal said:
Do i use bonding and then a skim of plaster or browning to do the whole job? :D

either product will be ok. but both browning and bonding require a skim coat.

Sponsored Links
Mine was like that. Why do you want to plaster it ? no need, unless you are re- positioning the bath

diyisfree said:
Mine was like that. Why do you want to plaster it ? no need, unless you are re- positioning the bath

Thats what i have done. Bath is now where the toilet used to be hence the lack of plaster.

Surely you're not going to put bonding on a brick bathroom wall :eek: ...you're asking for trouble.

Render(plastering/sharp sand & cement) it, then plaster.

noodlz said:
Surely you're not going to put bonding on a brick bathroom wall :eek: ...you're asking for trouble.

eh?

theres a couple of million homes where people will be reaching for a bolster chisel then??

why do you think browning or bonding would be a problem???

pass the Luger :eek: I`ve commited that bodge many times over the years :cry: and I thought I was a good tradesman :oops:

noodlz said:

I thought you only did that if the walls were prone to slight damp problems. Never heard of using render in a bathroom. My bathroom is plastered, apart from the bit i need to do.

noseall said:
noodlz said:

eh?

theres a couple of million homes where people will be reaching for a bolster chisel then??

why do you think browning or bonding would be a problem???

I agree that in many homes people may do it, but it is a better way and just as cheap to render a brick wall, then plaster. With bonding you will always be prone to water being soaked up in it, especially so in a damp area like a bathroom, so I would always use render on a brick wall.

Free to do what you wish, but you can prevent a possible problem in the future by doing the job properly in the first place. You pays your money you takes your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back